“To think what you want to think is to think Truth, regardless of appearances” – Wallace D. Wattles
It’s going to happen to you (if it hasn’t already), whether it’s a phone call or a face to face with a network marketer, or maybe you will attend a local meeting of a network marketing company. The person who prospects you will tell you about Suzy Q the homemaker who just wanted to make $400 extra a month to help her hardworking husband with the bills, who threw herself into network marketing and it was so hard that she almost gave up! But she kept at it and today she is a six-figure earner! And then there’s Jimmy Z, everyone knows about Jimmy, he started way back when before Al Gore invented the Internet and he built a multi-million dollar business by doing meetings in McDonald’s and grocery store aisles!
If you go to a local meeting Suzy, Jimmy and their friends will be paraded across the stage and they will each tell their story and they will cry genuine tears – because it was hard and everyone laughed at them and said it couldn’t be done – and they did it anyway! At this point you will be crying too as you fill out the form being handed to you.
When all is said and done you have joined a new business opportunity, you are pumped, you are ready to change your life, you are going to eliminate all of your debt in the next 12 months! You’re so danged excited that it’s hard to sleep some nights, I mean after all you are going to be earning six figure by this time next year – imagine that!
But wait – did you not hear the disclaimer, did you miss the part about :
1. Results not being typical and
2. And the fact that it can take a lot of years, tears and hard work for the average Joe to succeed
Yes, yes, in your excitement you totally missed where Jimmy said that he talks to folks in parking lots (that’s gauche and yo don’t plan to do that and anyway you just got this email from some MLM guru guy who for just $1197.00 is going to show you howto earn 10K per month by this time next month). You didn’t miss the part about two to ten years to that six-figure income because that’s for average people and you plan to be Suzy Q the one who did it in a year, heck if she can do it so can you!
So (totally ignoring all the training you are receiving from your team about investing time rather than money at the front end) you buy expensive leads, take out expensive ads, and do that guru program and you check your back office and bank account daily to see if you’ve signed up a thousand distributors and made any progress towards your 10K. Well that’s just exhausting isn’t it?
And when you realize that you’ve invested more than you’ve made, well that’s when you start to throw up the “Obstacles To Your Own Success”:
1. You begin to find fault with your upline – after all he brought you in, he gets paid off you every month,why isn’t he helping you? Why doesn’t he provide you with leads or do calls for you so you can watch TV in peace? And he probably doesn’t even make as much as he said. What a loser, he’s just using you…..
2. You begin to find fault with your company, product or team and you disconnect – you don’t listen to training calls, you don’t attend events, you think the product or service is too expensive or doesn’t work….
3. You become cynical about network marketing – after all everywhere you look on the internet they say 97% fail, and you probably have to get in at the beginning to be successful, and maybe it really is a scam….
So where are you right now? Are you reaching for the stars or are you throwing up obstacles?
* disclaimer- Al Gore did not invent the Internet