It’s almost official, Summer is over. You can try to hang on to her if you want but it’s not the same with the kids back in school and roads clogged with traffic. So here is my summer roundup, watched a lot of TV, read a couple of books, exercised – sometimes I did it all at the same time just to keep things interesting. Swam in the pool next door once, got my tan for the summer (only swim once every summer, don’t ask me why).
For your reading pleasure and in no particular order, here are a few of my favorite things:
- TNT – they know drama. Those guys on “Dark Blue ” are hotttt in a dark undercover kinda way.
- Chester Himes – read a collection of his short stories, took me back to my youth. Especially loved “A Modern Fable” . A political tale which could have been written yesterday but was actually written 30 to 50 years ago. It’s about a politician and a common man during the depression. The politician promises increased wages for WPA workers, the common man votes for him. The new senator gets in office and votes against a bill that would increase the wages of WPA workers because he just cannot see leaving that much debt for future genrations. The WPA program is abolished and the now unemployed and homeless common man gets a gun and visits the Senator…read it for yourself, Chester tells the story much better. I also liked “Prediction” it’s dark, and it’s not for the faint of heart.
- Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is the story of a young girl growing up in Nigeria. Her father is religious & has some ideas about raising children that are “different”. A great read.
- P90X – Someone gifted me with a copy of this and I absolutely love it. The workouts are different enough to keep you interested an hard and intense enough to actually change your body. They just came out with Insanity and I’m thinking about it. Check it all out here
- Burn Notice – don’t you just love the way this is narrated? How he teaches budding operatives how to be full fledged operatives? I really like Sharon Gless as his Mom, but then I like her as anyone’s Mom and am just happy to see her looking good and doing her thing.
- Marching Band Camp – I am blessed with the exalted position of “Hospitality Chair” for the Grayson High School MB. This means I got the chance to spend two months convincing businesses and churches to donate food so that we could feed the little darlings for two weeks. Band kids are great, and I am lucky to be a band Mom.
- Columbus OH – traveled there on business and took the hubby with me, we had not had a vacation alone in many, many years (not since Montego Bay in the late 90s). Downtown Columbus is beautiful, we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which is an old bank converted into a hotel. We ate at Jambo a cajun restaurant across the street from the hotel which had just opened – excellent.
- The health care debate – well not really. But it took up so much of my summer I thought I’d mention it. I have watched in stunned disbelief as people who have stood up for nothing in the past 10 years, began falling for everything that was thrown at them . Seriously folks – death panels?
- Facebook – I have had the opportunity to reconnect with so many wonderful friends of my youth all thanks to FB; gotta love it
- The Cleaner – Benjamin Bratt sizzles as a recovering addict who talks to God and assists other addicts in cleaning up (ok he abducts them, handcuffs them to a bed, and makes em go cold turkey – but they usually come around to seeing things his way).
I just started using the Core4 products from CNI, will talk about that in my Fall roundup, LOL. So what did you do this summer?